NOTE: The info below was pulled from the TORn News Archives. It is not likely to be at all comprehensive.
- October 18, 1999: TheOneRing.net moved to a new server that would allow the site to do 'some fun stuff which wasn't easy to accomplish before.' 1October 28, 1999: One of TORn's harddrives failed and the site was down for 1 hour and 30 minutes. The server installed 10 days prior saved the site from a longer down time. TheOneRing was, at that time, running on a HP NetServer 5/166 LS2 with 192 MB of Ram, an AMI MegaRaid controller, 2 pentium 166 processors, and 6x4GB hard drives. It is currently running Debian Linux with a 2.2.10 kernel. 2May 26, 2000: TORn switched to a new server which would speed up access to the site. 3November 28, 2001: TORn sought volunteers with the hardware and bandwidth capabilities to hold clips for the feature, TORn Digital. 4December 4, 2001: Increase in site traffic leading up to the release of the FOTR movie put a strain on TORn's servers. "Significant changes" were made that resulted in a "dramatic speed up." 5December 23, 2001: The week prior was announced to have been the busiest week in TORn's 2.5 year history putting great strain on the site's server.6May 18, 2002: TORn switched servers, replacing "the ailing one which has served (the site) so well for so many years" . 7 8 9December 18, 2003: Fans writing into TORn with their Trilogy Tuesday reports nearly swamped the server. 10March 1, 2004: When tickets for TORn's 2004 Oscar Party went on sale, all 1,200 tickets were sold out in 10 minutes and the server was "pretty much blown out." 11March 3, 2004: TORn's server went down the night of its 2004 Oscar Party and one of the staffers at the party got it doing again. 12October 15-19, 2007: TORn's suffered a catastrophic hardware failure. It came back online in a new incarnation using a WordPress platform. All content existing on the site up till the moment it crashed was archived on a subdomain as "Old TORn. 13Mathom-house Wiki Article: TORn 2007 Server Crash
- May 30, 1999: A different news update system was added which was hoped to be an improvement on the previous one. 16June 8, 1999: A search engine was added. 17January 5, 2000: Search and Archive sections were reworked to be more usable. Changes to the site made it more usable for those using text based browsers and the visually impaired. 18March 16, 2000: Fan.TheOneRing.net got a daily news updater. 19
RSS and News Feeds
- March 8, 2000: Frontpage news became available as a channel for people using my.netscape.com and a Sherlock site search plugin became available for Macintosh users. Software was also made available that would allow other websites to post TORn headlines that would automatically update as TORn updated. 20 21May 9, 2000: Corvar offered more help to sites that wanted to include TORn's headlines on their site or portal with an RSS feed. 22July 10, 2000: Software was created that would install TheOneRing.net news in certain web browsers's sidebar. 23
Technical Changes to TORn Sections
- May 14, 1999: Added to the site were a message board that would be reset weekly (to keep issues up to date) and a poll with a weekly contest to pick the question. 24June 14, 1999: New Message Board, previewed the day before, replaced the previous message board set up. 25July 18, 1999: New forums listed as one of a few changes made over the weekend (no others are listed). 26
- August 2, 2000: Hall of Fire homepage got a new pulldown menu for accessing past chat logs. 28