The information on this page does not strongly support the Mission Statement of the TORn Mathom-house Wiki
as the topics are not about TORn although it is all information that was reported on TORn.
It was collected during research and is provided as a service to visitors to the Mathom-house.
Important Note About This Page
These are links that were collected while researching the Embassy Theatre Seat Funding article. They were not, in the end, pertinent to that article nor were they about TORn such that they strongly met the Mission Statement of the Mathom-house History wiki. But it seems a shame to have such a collection in one's hands and throw it away. Someone, someday might find these useful. So, they will be left here.
No attempt has been made to make this page pretty, make links automatically open in new windows (with code... hold the control/command button down when you click to get that action), or write an 'article' with the information. These are merely "Collected Links". Material from some dead pages archived at the Internet Archive Wayback Machine can be found on site here: Embassy Theatre Wayback
Furthermore, these links were collected while TORn was converting from their old server, then housed on 'archives.theonering.net' to the newer Word Press driven server. Any links that lead to a url starting with 'archives' is on the old server. Many of them still work. Some do not. There are some strategies for dealing with this on the Comments page.
General Theatre Renovation
Embassy Theatre Seat Funding information is on that article page.
- August 1st, 2001 - Peter Jackson goes on mad chainsaw rampage!!! - (PJ leads theatre renovation) - link to Stuff.co.nz article is now dead. See Embassy Theatre Wayback#stuffaug01 - "Film maker returns to his roots"
- October 25th, 2001 - New Zealand Screening News I (Cannes footage show as charity event for Embassy)
- October 25th, 2001 - New Zealand Screening
- October, 2001 - image: Scan of New Zealand Press, October 2001 newspaper article - (report of charity screening (Cannes footage?) - describes 'membership scheme' for renovation fund) - paired with this scan
- December 28th, 2002 - Te Papa Museum Report (brief description of Gollum above entrance and state of theatre) "Whilst the foyer of the theatre has been restored, th actual cinema itself can be best described as "run down". The only improvement here is the sound system"
- April 30th, 2003 - Could Gollum and Frodo be secret JAFAs? - (Wellington City Council to decide if they will underwrite refurbishment. NewLine says they won't host ROTK premiere there if it isn't up to scratch.)
- May 3rd, 2003 - New Line Committed To Wellington World Premiere (New Line's Mark Ordesky relays standards required for Embassy Theatre to be used for RotK premier)
- May 4th, 2003 - WHAT'S wrong with the Embassy? - (This article seems to refer to prior news.) "I think the most unsettling thing about this whole Wellington Premiere kerfuffle has been the fact that nobody was saying WHAT was wrong with the Embassy Theatre and so it was difficult to judge whether New Line's demand that it be brought up to a suitable standard" was a big deal or not."''
- May 6th, 2003 - Council Agrees to Underwrite Rings Theatre Upgrade
- May 7th, 2003 - TORn links to BBC Article: NZ 'secures Rings premiŤre'
- May 9th, 2003 - Embassy theatre to close early for refit
- August 6th, 2003 - image: Embassy Theatre Refurbishment Images (5 images - interior shots of renovation)
- August 6, 2003 - Embassy Theatre Refurbishment Needs Your Help! "still short of money to complete the refurbishments" brief discussion of renovation status - link to Embassy Theatre Trust Website which is now dead. See Embassy Theatre Wayback
- August 11th, 2003 - Embassy Theatre Trust Update - - (reports status of Seat donation. Gives some indication of levels of donation and other benefits from donating.)
- August 21st, 2003 - Embassy refurbishment on schedule (Fletcher construction workers speak)
- August 24th, 2003 - Embassy's Facelift Sparks Anger (A heritage group is unhappy about "unnecessary earthquake strengthening" of the Embassy Theatre)
- August 25th, 2003 - Action! Adventure! Earthquakes! - (Tehanu relates her experiences in a South Island earthquake and says the Embassy is right to Embassy is right to insist on meeting seismic requirements)
- August 28th, 2003 - 'TORNsibs' Donations Needed! (Xoanon puts the word out for donations toward the Embassy Theatre renovation by purchasing theatre seats. The article includes WhiteAslan's call for donations on behalf of TORn's Discussion Boards' to purchase a platinum seat.)
- August 29th, 2003 - Embassy Trust Ad in Dominion Post (links to 5 images)
- August 29th, 2003 - image: Embassy Trust Ad in Dominion Post - 29th Aug 2003 (this has names of people who contributed)
- September 25th, 2003 - Embassy Theatre Update "restoration is going well and is on schedule, but wanted to let anyone out there who might still be interested in purchasing a seat know that there are still about 15 of the Lounge Seats and somewhat over 150 of the Gold Seats still available."
- October 9th, 2003 - A Sneak Peek at the Embassy: TORn links to Robert Catto Photographs
- October 30th, 2003 - NZ News: Midnight Tix sold, and the Embassy sold (report that fundraising for Embassy Theatre has not been enough) "thereís news from Wellington despite heroic fundraising efforts including the generous efforts of many TORN readers, the Embassy Theatre in Wellington hasnít raised enough money to pay for its own refurbishment and it will be handing over ownership to the City Council. The renovations for the World Premiere, however, are continuing as planned."
- November 12th, 2003 - Embassy refurbishment draws to an end
- November 25th, 2003 - Embassy Theatre Seat Photos from Ringerspy Irascian: "...two pictures for those fans whoíve purchased seats through the Embassy Theatre Trust" plus "...a copy of the Roll of honour which appears twice wrapped around each of two columns in the upstairs entrance area."
- Scrapbook Album: NZ Embassy Seat Photos
- November 25th, 2003 - TORn links to Ian Smith's report of re-opening of Embassy Theatre (magpie: I think Ringerspy, "Irascian", might be Ian Smith.)
- February 2nd, 2004 - image: Local Government Magazine - (4 images) "The February 2004 edition of Local Government Magazine, New Zealand, has a detailed article on the renovation of The Embassy Theatre - site of the New Zealand premier of The Return of the King."
- July 13th, 2005 Red Carpet LOTR Locations Tour: Day Four (a little info on the state of the restored theatre)
Embassy Theatre LOTR Related Topics
Related to LOTR but not to TORn or to Renovation/Seat Funding - For the moment, I don't know if this info will be incorporated into the main Article in some fashion. If so, some of these links might become references. If not, we have to decide whether to keep it as fringe supplemental material or to delete it altogether.
LOTR Movie Premieres
- Wellington LOTR Premieres - has info on the Embassy Theatre's involvement in the three LOTR movie premieres.
Art of the FOTR - Gary Russell - book launch
- June 21st, 2002 - Launch of The Art of The Fellowship of the Ring by Gary Russell (book release held at Embassy Theatre)
- June 21st, 2002 - Harper-Collins Book Event Report! (Art of the FOTR event held in upstairs foyer of Embassy)
LOTR Movie Screenings (post premieres)
- November 5th, 2002 - Extended Edition at the Embassy Theatre "the special showing of the extended version of FOTR on 11/11 is a charity showing for the Embassy Trust. Tickets are $50 a piece. They told me we will be watching Peter's own personal copy and it will be film, not digital."
- November 11th, 2002 - FOTR-EE screened at Embassy
- April 9th, 2004 - FOTR & TTT Screenings at NZ Embassy - "The Embassy in Wellington has special Easter screenings of the Theatrical versions of FOTR"
- February 28th, 2007 - Trilogy Screening in Wellington (trilogy screening as part of their summer series)
- March 5th, 2002 - Special Oscar show to run at Embassy "Embassy Theatre ... had negotiated an arrangement ... to show the Academy Award presentations live to 800 viewers at the Embassy Theatre on March 25. ... Guests would include individuals and sponsors who had given financial support to the Embassy Theatre refurbishment, and a limited number of tickets would be on sale when bookings opened."
- March 8th, 2004 - Oscar Party Report from NZ "The Embassy had arranged live coverage of the Academy Awards"
Misc Embassy Theatre Info
- Harp of Gondor at the Embassy : Early harps specialist Asni harps for the Rings marathon at the Embassy on Wednesday; Monday, December 15, 2003
- Wellington to Pay Tribute to Film Industry = September 25th, 2005 "Wellington city is to pay tribute to the local film industry with a towering tripod figure that will be erected on Courtenay Place, just across from the Embassy Theatre, billed as "New Zealandís grandest picture palace" and built in 1924." (has link to newspaper scans)